Antar P. Jones
- Trusts & Estates Litigation
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Tax Planning and Tax Controversy
- Commercial and Residential Real Estate Conveyances
Classes & Seminars
- CLE Speaker teaching a course entitled “Post-Mortem Estate Planning for Lorman Business Center, LLC on November 29, 2021.
- CLE Speaker teaching three courses entitled “State and Federal Trust Taxation Issues”. “Fiduciary Tax Returns”, and “Resolving Trust Disputes and Making Changes to Trusts” for a live video webinar entitled “New York Trusts Mini-Series” hosted by NBI, Inc. on November 17, 2021.
- CLE Speaker teaching a course entitled “Tax Basics for Estates” for an online seminar entitled “Accounting and Tax Crash Course for Trusts and Estates” for NBI on August 28, 2020.
- CLE Speaker for NYSBA’s “What You Need as Guardian Ad Litem”, February 28, 2020.
- CLE Speaker teaching a course entitled “The Probate Process from Start to Finish” for NBI in Melville, New York, April 16, 2019. Subjects discussed: i) Ethics; ii) Sale of Property and Distributions; and iii) Final Account and Closing the Estate.
- CLE Speaker teaching a course entitled “Everything a Real Estate Attorney Should Know About Estates and Trusts” for Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education, December 22, 2018.
- CLE Speaker teaching a course entitled “Everything a Real Estate Attorney Should Know About Estates and Trusts” presented by Hudson United Title Services on November 16, 2018 (Dobbs Ferry, New York) and on November 30, 2018 (New City, New York—approval pending).
- CLE Speaker at NBI Estate Administration Boot Camp in Newburgh, New York on October 22, 2018. Subjects taught: i) Handling debts and claims against the estate; and ii) Trusts that affect estate administration (tax issues).
- Speaker at Estate Planning Seminars along with Hon. Judge Lisa S. Ottley, Kings County Supreme Court and Anthony Lamberti, Esq. at the Grace A. Harewood Neighborhood Senior Center, Brooklyn, New York, June 9, 2018, June 16, 2018 and on August 22, 2018.
- Speaker for NBI CLE program entitled “Advanced Estate and Trust Administration” on February 16, 2018. Presented on (i) Final Accountings in Estate Administration; (ii) Tax Deadlines, 3 Preparation, Coordination, Filing Returns – AND Top IRS Pitfalls; and (iii) Ethical Practice Considerations and Concerns in Probate.
- Speaker at Marino CLE program entitled “Estate Administration” on December 9, 2017.
- Speaker for NBI CLE program entitled “PROBATE: Everything You Need to Know” concerning “Other Trust Structures and Issues” on December 8, 2017. Presented on (i) Federal and state tax issues; (ii) Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts; (iii) Marital Trusts After ATRA; (iv) Qualified Domestic Trusts; (v) Pet Trusts; and (iv) Smaller Estate Trusts.
- Webcast Speaker for MyLawCLE in a program entitled “Estate and Trust Administration”, on November 28, 2017.
- Panelist on a presentation entitled “Careers in Tax Law” at New York Law School on October 5, 2017.
- Webcast Speaker for MyLawCLE in a program entitled “2nd Death Planning and Administration”, on August 30, 2017.
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section, Estate and Trust Administration Committee: Co-author of memorandum proposing legislation to strike publication requirement in EPTL § 8-1.8(b-1) and in § 406(b-1) of the New York Not-For-Profit Corporation Law.
- Presenter of Basic Estate Planning presentation before the Wallcovering Installers Association on April 12, 2017 in Hicksville, New York.
- Speaker at Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education, March 25, 2017 in a program entitled “Family Matters: Issues Arising Concerning Estate Matters Regarding the Second Spouse to Die.”
- Speaker for MyLawCLE in a program entitled “Family Matters: Issues Arising Concerning Estate Matters Regarding the Second Spouse to Die”, webcast on February 21, 2017.
- Panelist at “What Every Lawyer Should Know: What To Do (About the Corpse) When There Is A Death At Home”, at New York Law School, March 31, 2016.
- Panelist at “Careers in Tax Today” at New York Law School, March 2, 2016.
- Speaker at the Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education, December 6, 2014 and December 5, 2015 events. The lecture was entitled: “Mom Died, Now What? New York Estate Administration.”
- Speaker at the Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education, June 6, 2015. The lecture was entitled: “Trust Basics.”
- Co-author via a joint committee of the New York State Bar Association and the New York City Bar for proposed legislation concerning digital assets. September 2013 - November 2014.
- Featured panelist for the CLE course, “Practical Skills and the Administration of Estates” – a New York State Bar Association event, The Pennsylvania Hotel, New York, New York, November 19, 2014.
- Featured guest speaker/panelist and program coordinator for the CLE course, “Nuts and Bolts of Will Drafting” at the Brooklyn Bar Association, Brooklyn, New York, October 21, 2014.
- Co-authored “Lost Trusts in New York – The Case for Statutory Intervention”, NYSBA Trusts and Estates Law Section Newsletter (Summer 2014, vol. 47, No. 2), re-published in NYSBA Magazine entitled “The Senior Lawyer”, Fall 2014, Vol. 6, No. 2.
- Presented “Understanding Wills and Trusts” at Neighborhood Housing Services of East Flatbush (June 6, 2014 and May 23, 2013).
- Co-presented “First Dad Died and Now Mom” for a webinar CLE presented by Lorman (Oct. 16, 2013).
- Co-presented “Tax Issues Concerning LLCs” before the New York City Bar Small Law Firms Committee (Nov. 8, 2011).
- Authored “Providing Capital to Entities or Individuals That Go Bust”, Complinet.com (Thomson Reuters, Mar. 25, 2011).
- Received an acknowledgment for assisting in editing chapters on corporate bondholders, LLCs and corporate debt securities in the textbook, “Corporate Finance and Governance, 3d Edition” edited by Professor Jeffrey J. Haas.
The founder of his eponymous law firm, Antar P. Jones has a varied practice that encompasses estate planning, probate and administration matters, and federal and state income and estate tax issues. He is based in Brooklyn, New York, and he provides representation to clients throughout the greater New York City metropolitan area. Mr. Jones has been admitted to practice before all New York state courts since 2009, and he is also admitted to practice in New Jersey.
A significant portion of Mr. Jones's practice is devoted toward his providing advice and counsel to fiduciaries, heirs, and beneficiaries on complex estate administration and tax matters. His work in this regard has encompassed both revocable trusts and life insurance trusts and how they are treated after the death of the grantor. Mr. Jones has also represented clients in the areas of international tax treaties, and his experience has additionally included general corporate and personal income tax planning as well as cases involving decanted trusts. An accomplished advocate, he has appeared on behalf of his clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the United States Tax Court, and the Southern District of New York.
A talented musician, Mr. Jones attended Purchase College, part of the State University of New York System, and he majored in piano performance and received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1989. He performed on the piano before, while, and after studying for and obtaining a Master of Arts in piano performance from Brooklyn College in 1993. Some years later, he decided to pursue a legal education, and he enrolled at New York Law School. Mr. Jones has both a Juris Doctor and a Master of Laws in taxation from that institution, having received the latter degree in 2009.
- New York
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- LL.M. - 2009
- Honors: “A” grade in Partnership Taxation and Business Succession Planning
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- Juris Doctor - 2006
- Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, New York
- Purchase College, Purchase , New York
- Brooklyn Bar Association, Surrogate’s Court Committee, Co-Chair (since circa August 2018 to present).
- New York State Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Diversity Committee Co-Chair (since Fall 2017 to present).
- New York State Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section, Diversity Committee Co-Chair (since January 2017 to present).
- Attending Member, Tax Committee of the Trusts and Estates Section of the New York State Bar Association, September 2017 to the Present.
- Active member, Estate and Trust Administration Committee of the Trusts and Estates Section of the New York State Bar Association, October 2011 to Present.
- Trusts and Estates Section, Estates of the New York County Bar Association.
- NYCLA US Tax Court Pro Bono Tax Court Program, New York County Bar Association.
- New York City Bar Association.
- BNI Brownstone Brooklyn Chapter networking group, president, October 2013 to September 2014; member from December 2011 to 2018.
- Grand Avenue Putnam Gates Block Association, founder and president, 1998-2001, 2013- 2014.
- President of the Antara Ensemble—a Classical music string orchestra with not-for-profit status, July 2015- present; founding board member when the group was incorporated in June 1996.
- New York Metro Super Lawyers list since 2016
- New York County Lawyers Association Tax Court Pro Bono Program
- Lewis & Hand, LLP Law Firm, Brooklyn, New York, Associate Attorney (part-time), 2009 to 2010
- Calo Agostino, P.C.—Counselors at Law, Hackensack, New Jersey, Law Clerk, 2007 to 2008
- Conversational French
- Conversational German